Try some dhaba style dal makhani made with blend of spices. Serve it with flat bread or rice!
4 hours 40 mins
- Black whole gram – ½ cup
- Rajma/Red kidney beans – 2 tbsp
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 large tomatoes (finely chopped)
- Grated ginger – 1 tsp
- Finely chopped garlic – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Carom Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cloves – 2
- Red chilly powder – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Kasuri Methi/dried fenugreek leaves – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil – 1 tbsp
- Fresh Cream – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash and soak black gram and red kidney beans in some water for 4 hours. I usually soak it overnight to cook it next day. Make purée of tomatoes and keep it aside.
- Take a white muslin cloth and pack cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Drop this spice bag in a pressure cooker along with soaked lentils and 2 cups of water.
- When the water starts boiling, close the cooker and give 4 whistles or till lentils are soft and cooked properly. Remove the spice bag and keep it aside.
- Add oil in a pan and when the oil is warm add carom seeds, cumin seeds, grated ginger, finely chopped garlic and onion. When onions turns golden brown add tomato purée and saute it for few minutes on low flame.
- Now add cooked lentil with water, red chilly powder, salt to taste and mix it well. Add more water if you feel its too thick. Close the pan and let it cook for 5 minutes on low flame. Keep stirring in between.
- Now add cardamom powder and dried fenugreek leaves and give a final stir. Transfer in a bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and some cream.
Once the dal is completely cooked in the pan, heat a small piece of charcoal. Place charcoal in a small steel cup. Place this small cup inside the pan and sprinkle some water over it. Immediately close the pan and only open it after few minutes. This will give an authentic dhaba style dal makhani taste.