Tomato rice recipe – easy and delicious south indian tomato rice recipe. tomato rice recipe – spicy south indian style tomato rice recipe.
Prep Time : 30 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup heaped basmati rice or any regular rice
- water as required
- 3 medium to large tomatoes finely chopped or 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes, tightly packed or 200 grams tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 1.5 teaspoon ginger garlic paste or ½ inch ginger + 5 to 6 medium sized garlic crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) – chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 4 to 5 methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) – optional
- ½ inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 6 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ tablespoon chopped mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1.75 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
1. rinse 1 heaped cup basmati rice or any regular rice for a couple of times in water. then soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. later drain the rice and keep aside.
2. in a pressure cooker, heat 2 tbsp oil. keep the flame to a low and add ½ tsp mustard seeds and crackle them. then add 4 to 5 methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) and just lightly saute them for a couple of seconds.
3. then add ⅓ cup finely chopped onion and ½ inch cinnamon, 2 green cardamoms and 2 to 3 cloves.
4. stir and saute till the onions turn translucent.
5. then add 1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste, chopped 1 green chili and 6 to 7 curry leaves.
6. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
7. now add ½ tbsp chopped mint leaves/pudina and ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta.
8. stir and saute for a minute.
9. add 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes. about 3 medium to large tomatoes which have been finely chopped.
10. add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp black pepper powder or crushed black pepper, ½ tsp coriander powder and 1 tsp cumin powder. for a lesser spiced version add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, ¼ tsp red chili powder and ¼ tsp black pepper powder.
11. stir very well and saute the tomatoes.
12. the tomatoes should soften and become pulpy with oil releasing from the sides.
13. add the soaked rice.
14. stir the rice with the tomato mixture very well. saute for a minute.
15. add 1.75 cups water. for a more softer consistency in the rice, you can also add 2 cups water.
16. season with salt as per taste.
17. cover and pressure cook tomato rice for 2 whistles on medium flame. about 10 to 11 minutes. to get a softer rice, you can also pressure cook for 3 whistles. when the pressure settles down on its own. then remove the lid and gently fluff the rice.
18. serve tomato rice with appalams or chips or with onion tomato raita or boondi raita. you can garnish with some chopped coriander leaves while serving the tomato rice.